NEW ROCHELLE, NY (TUSEN) – First responders are at the scene of a dangerous situation at the YMCA of New Rochelle.
The teams were called around 7:30 a.m. on Weyman Avenue near Bayard Street.
READ MORE: Pfizer Says COVID Vaccine Safe and Effective for Children 5-11 Years Old
Tony Aiello of TUSEN reported that the chlorine was mistakenly mixed with another chemical, filling the building with fumes.
Eleven people were taken to hospital.
Several people were seen being treated with oxygen.
READ MORE: Gabby Petito search: FBI says body found in Grand Teton National Park reported missing
“Mass Casualty” incident in New Rochelle at the YMCA. Chlorine mistakenly mixed with another chemical filled the building with fumes. 11 taken to hospital. Witnesses say they felt their lungs were on fire, racing to escape the building. pic.twitter.com/qREPulHz1N
– Tony Aiello (@AielloTV) September 20, 2021
NO MORE NEWS: Another person dies in custody on Rikers Island
Stay with TUSEN, CBSN New York, and TUSEN.com to learn more about this developing story.