Copa America: the Supreme Court of Brazil authorizes the holding of the tournament | Football news

0
16



Brazil’s Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the country can host the Copa America despite the coronavirus pandemic, paving the way for the struggling soccer tournament in three days. In an extraordinary virtual session, a majority of the 11 High Court judges ruled against the plaintiffs who argued that the South American championships posed an unacceptable health risk. Several judges, however, ordered the government to take additional security measures. “It is the responsibility of (state governors and mayors) to establish the appropriate health protocols and ensure that they are followed in order to avoid a ‘Copavirus’, with new infections and the emergence of new variants,” wrote the judge. Carmen Lucia in her decision.

The three cases brought to court were the last – and perhaps the last – watershed moment for organizers, who appear determined to win this edition of the world’s oldest ongoing international football tournament despite the odds.

Already delayed by 12 months due to the pandemic, the Copa America nearly collapsed when the original co-hosts Colombia and Argentina failed at the last minute – the first because of violent anti-government protests , the second because of a wave of Covid- 19 cases.

See also  England Euro 2021 schedule, kick-off times and latest team news

As time is running out until this Sunday’s opener, Brazil stepped in as emergency hosts for the 10 Nations tournament last week.

But the decision is extremely controversial: Brazil is also reeling from Covid-19, which has claimed nearly 480,000 lives in the country, just behind the United States.

Covid fears explode

Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, who has regularly defied expert advice on containing the pandemic, gave his blessing to host the tournament.

He praised the court ruling and predicted that Brazil would “slaughter” Venezuela in the opening game.

But epidemiologists warn Brazil is currently facing a new wave of cases, and say hosting a major international sporting event could add fuel to the fire.

“It is impossible to describe the madness of trying to organize an event of this magnitude here now,” infectious disease specialist José David Urbaez told TUSEN.

See also  Former Olympic freestyle wrestling champion Florent Manaudou on Tokyo hard courts | Swimming News

The applications to the Supreme Court were lodged by the national union of metalworkers, the Brazilian Socialist Party (PSB) and the Workers’ Party (PT) of former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, likely opponent of Bolsonaro in the presidential elections of next year.

They argued that the tournament risked exacerbating the health crisis and “violate basic rights to life and health.”

Bolsonaro and South American football confederation CONMEBOL insist the tournament will be safe.

Brazilian officials are demanding matches be played without supporters, including the final on July 10 at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.

Teams will undergo a mandatory Covid-19 test every 48 hours. Their movements will be restricted and they will travel to matches in the four host cities on chartered flights.

However, the Department of Health on Monday backed down from plans to require all players, coaches and staff to be vaccinated against Covid-19.

See also  'Never an easy decision': Rafael Nadal withdraws from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics | Tennis News

Health Minister Marcelo Queiroga said it was too late to ensure immunity and post-vaccine side effects “could compromise player performance.”

Disgruntled players, sponsors

The organizers are faced with many negative reactions.

Two main sponsors, Mastercard and beer giant Ambev, said on Wednesday they were removing their marks from the tournament.

A third alcoholic beverage company, Diageo, followed suit Thursday.

And many players and coaches criticized the event, including Uruguayan Luis Suarez, Argentinian Sergio “Kun” Aguero and the entire Brazilian national team.

Neymar and his team – as well as Brazil coach Tite – were said to have been caught off guard by the news their country would welcome, and there has been talk of boycotting.

Promoted

They eventually stopped before that, but were blunt in their criticism of CONMEBOL.

“We are against the organization of the Copa America,” they said in a joint statement on Tuesday.

Topics mentioned in this article

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here