E. Jean Carroll is suing Trump as a review window opens in New York for the lawsuits of adult sexual abuse survivors

0
2

NEW YORK — Ex-magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll sued former President Donald Trump for battery and defamation under a new New York law that allows adults to report sexual assault years after the attack, TUSEN reported.

Carroll filed the lawsuit Thursday, the first day civil lawsuits can be brought under the new law, the Adult Survivors Act, which gives adults one year to file a claim.

The lawsuit is the second Carroll has brought against Trump, but the first to try to hold him accountable for battery over Carroll’s alleged rape in the dressing room of a New York department store in the mid-1990s. The lawsuit also alleges a new defamation claim based on statements Trump made last month.

Carroll is asking a judge to order Trump to retract his defamatory statements and to award compensatory, punitive, and exemplary damages in an amount to be determined at trial.

“Trump’s underlying sexual assault seriously injured Carroll, causing significant pain and suffering, lasting psychological damage, loss of dignity and invasion of her privacy. His recent defamatory statement only added to the damage Carroll had already suffered.” claims the lawsuit.

See also  TUSEN's Burnett: 'Xi doesn't care what Biden says' about Taiwan

During a court hearing Tuesday for the earlier trial, Trump attorney Alina Habba told Judge Lewis Kaplan she had not yet been hired to represent Trump in the Adult Survivors Act lawsuit.

Kaplan noted that Trump had known for months that this lawsuit was coming up and that he would do well to decide who represents him in it.

In 2019, Carroll sued Trump for defamation after he denied her sexual assault allegation, saying he had never met Carroll, that she wasn’t his type, and that she fabricated the story to boost sales of her new book.

In Thursday’s lawsuit, Carroll repeated those earlier statements and added a new one, from October 2022, when Trump said similar things about her when he was due to sit down for a statement related to the 2019 lawsuit.

“I don’t know this woman, have no idea who she is, except it looks like she got a picture of me many years ago, with her husband, shaking my hand on a reception line at a celebrity charity event. She totally made it made up a story that I met her at the doors of this busy New York City department store and ‘swooned’ her in minutes,” Trump posted on his social media platform Truth Social.

See also  2 dead, 8 hospitalized in fiery, ghostly crash in Chicago

“It’s a Hoax and a Lie, just like all the other Hoaxes that have been played out with me over the last seven years. And while I’m not supposed to say it, I will anyway. This woman is not my type!” said the message.

Habba responded to the filing on Thursday, saying, “While I respect and admire individuals who come forward, this case is unfortunately an abuse of the purpose of this law, setting a terrible precedent at risk of undermining the credibility of actual victims. “

Carroll’s 2019 defamation suit against Trump hangs in the balance. Trump’s lawyers challenged the lawsuit, saying the Justice Department should be replaced as the defendants since Trump, as president, answered reporters’ questions about Carroll’s allegations. The Justice Department agreed.

See also  Pictured: Ivanka Trump attends her sister's wedding in Mar-a-Lago

Kaplan ruled in favor of Carroll, but Trump and the Justice Department appealed. A New York federal appeals court ruled that Trump was a federal employee at the time, but asked a Washington, D.C., appeals court to determine whether the statements were within the scope of his employment.

The D.C. court has expedited the case and could rule early next year. If the court rules against Carroll, the case will likely be dismissed because the federal government cannot be sued for libel.

If the 2019 case is dismissed, the 2022 defamation claims will not be affected, as Trump was not a federal employee when he made the new statements last month.

Carroll’s attorneys previously asked Kaplan to combine the 2019 and 2022 action into one lawsuit early next year. The judge said he would weigh himself next week.

(The-TUSEN-Wire & 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner company. All rights reserved.)

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here