Hockey World Cup: Grambusch Brothers take Germany to semi-finals, Netherlands participate | Hockey news


Germany defeated England in penalties in dramatic circumstances after trailing 0-2 two minutes from regulation time to reserve a spot in the semi-finals of the FIH Men’s World Cup, where the Netherlands joined them on Wednesday with a victory over South Africa. Korea. Germany struck in the 58th and 59th minutes through captain Mats Grambusch and his younger brother Tom to take the quarter-final to the penalty shootout, where they triumphed over England’s heartbreak 4–3 and took victory from the jaws of defeat grabbed.

Germany, who finished second in Pool B and beat France 5-1 in the crossover game, will face three-time champions and last edition’s bronze medalists Australia in the semi-finals on Friday.

In the second quarter-final of the day at Kalinga Stadium, the Netherlands, the runners-up of the last two editions, ended South Korea’s more-than-expected run in the tournament with a 5-1 win for a final four duel with Belgium. Friday.

South Korea, who stunned Rio 2016 Olympics champions Argentina in Monday’s crossover match, once again put themselves above their weight as they put up a spirited battle with their more fantasized opponents, who placed third in the standings. world stood. South Korea ranks ninth in the world.

South Korea was the only Asian side to survive in the quarter-finals.

The boisterous spectators at Kalinga Stadium thought England would finish the game in comfort after Zachary Wallace (12th) and Liam Ansell (33rd) gave them a 2-0 lead, but to their surprise the Germans came roaring back to score goals in the 58th and 59th minutes via Mats and Tom Grambusch respectively.

Just before that, Christopher Ruhr had lost a chance from the penalty shot in the 57th minute.

See also  Meet Leon Hayward - A Chartered Accountant Who Knocked India Out Of The 2023 FIH Men's Hockey World Cup

When Germany were training 1-2 and got a penalty with one minute to go, Mats asked his younger brother Tom to take it. Tom made no mistake from the spot to take the game to the penalty shootout.

Niklas Wellen, Hannes Muller, Prinz Thies and Christopher Ruhr scored for Germany in the shootout. For England, James Albery, Zachary Wallace and Phil Roper struck as David Goodfield missed.

“It was a crazy game for sure, we were behind for most of the game. But we were able to convert the chances that came our way late in the game. It shows the character of the team,” said Matt.

“Our parents should be watching this game and they should be very happy to see that we both scored in a crucial game for the team and the country,” said Tom.

Germany’s fight back was reminiscent of their national football team, which is known for its never-say-that attitude.

“It’s a brutal game, you were 2-0 up with less than five minutes left in the game and you lost the game,” said England captain David Ames.

England had immediately reached the quarter-finals after beating India at the top of Group D.

They started as the more attacking side and took the lead in the 12th minute after Jack Waller, Stuart Rushemere and Zachary Wallace combined beautifully. Waller cut into the batting circle from the right and Rushemere swerved around three German defenders before Wallace slammed in with a tennis-like volley.

Wallace tried again at the German goal but his shot, after dodging past a defender in the second quarter, was blocked by the goalkeeper.

Germany pressed in the second quarter with many more players up front, but England defended well with man-to-man marking. But the relentless German attack resulted in their first penalty corner and that of the game, which they squandered. The Englishman gave the Germans no room as they entered the battle circle.

See also  Farmers Insurance Open: Jon Rahm uses a huge late surge to make the cut at Torrey Pines

Harry Martin was given space and time to shoot, but the goalkeeper was again caught in the middle of things when he blocked Germany’s second penalty corner two minutes before the break.

Trailing 0–1 at half-time, Germany let themselves down when Timur Oruz was shown a green card for a two-minute suspension in the 31st minute, and England thumped on that advantage to earn two back-to-back penalty corners and doubling their lead from second.

Liam Ansell made a soft touch of the ball after the stopper put it in his path and then sent in a powerful shot that already landed Germany goalkeeper Alexander Stadler.

Germany were under immense pressure in the third quarter when Christopher Ruhr was booked in the 38th minute for a five-minute suspension.

Just before the end of the third quarter, play was halted after England’s Liam Sanford fell to the turf and a few of his teammates surrounded Ruhr, but the umpires managed to calm the players down.

Germany were awarded a penalty stroke in the 57th minute, but Christopher Ruhr’s shot hit the crossbar. But a minute later, captain Mats Grambusch pulled one back with a field goal.

The game ended dramatically in 2-2 and a few seconds later Mats’ brother Tom scored from a penalty shot.

With 38 seconds remaining in regulation time, Germany earned a penalty corner, but England defended it in tense circumstances.

In the second quarter final, Koen Bijen (27th and 31st) struck twice while Justen Blok (36th), Steijn van Heijningen (50th) and Teun Beins (58th) scored the other goals for the Netherlands.

See also  The debate - turning point moment? The German Scholz approves tanks for Ukraine

Inwoo Seo (51st) scored the consolation goal for South Korea.

You would think that the Netherlands would overthrow South Korea. But it was not to be, as the small Asian country fought tooth and nail and was not intimidated by the reputation of their opponents.

Both South Korea and the Netherlands were goalless in the first quarter, with both sides earning two penalty corners each without using one.

The Netherlands were the dominant team in the second session with more circle penetration and took the lead three minutes into the first half, with Koen Bijen scoring a field goal.

However, the light-footed Koreans did not sit back. They staged quick counter-attacks and forced two penalty corners, although they were unable to convert any of them.

From the second penalty corner, the dragging movement of penalty corner specialist Jang Jonghyun hit German referee Ben Goentgen in the face after the ball ricocheted off a Dutch defender’s stick.

Goentgen, who fell down in pain before regaining his composure, was helped off and reserve referee, India’s Raghu Prasad, took charge for the remainder of the match.

The Netherlands took South Korea out of reach in the third quarter with two goals in five minutes. Bijen scored his second goal from a penalty corner in the 31st minute before Justen Blok scored a field goal in the 36th minute.

(follow The US Express News on Social Platforms.)

Featured video of the day

“No compromise”: Yogeshwar Dutt on harassment allegations against Wrestling Chief

Topics mentioned in this article



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here