OnePlus issued a legal notice to the Delhi-based lawyer who earlier this month alleged that his OnePlus Nord 2 5G handset had blown up in his robe. The notice asked the user to “cease and desist” from making or posting “such defamatory videos or derogatory statements” against the Chinese company and its products and to delete their previous tweets, the company confirmed to Gadgets 360. This is the second case in which the OnePlus Nord 2 5G would have exploded and caught fire.
In a tweet job by his account, lawyer Gaurav Gulati informed about the legal notice. OnePlus also confirmed this to Gadgets 360 on Monday.
“We confirm that we have issued a notice of cease and desist to the person concerned. We will follow appropriate legal procedures to resolve this issue, ”the company said in an emailed statement.
Gulati shared a copy of the review on Twitter, and in the post you can see that it was sent by a legal partner of Mobitech Creations – the Indian subsidiary of OnePlus. He said the user had made “self-contradictory and false statements” to the media regarding the OnePlus Nord 2 5G explosion, with “malicious intent and bad faith” to damage the reputation of the company.
“The disparaging content has caused and continues to cause unquantifiable harm to our client. The general public, including our client’s potential customers, are very likely to be negatively influenced, deceived or misled into believing that the statements made in said Tweets are true and conclusive, ”the review states.
The advisory adds that Gulati should delete his original tweets referring to the incident and issue a written communication to all media outlets where he had previously made statements about the blast. He also asked him to present an “unconditional written apology” on the matter as well as a pledge not to post or distribute “derogatory material” on OnePlus and its products in the future.
Failure to respond to all of these requests would make the user “liable for all costs and consequences” and legal action of the company, according to the notice.
Gulati did not respond to comments on the matter.
In a previous conversation, Gulati said he would sue OnePlus for the blast that allegedly took place while he was sitting in his bedroom. He also told Gadgets 360 that the OnePlus Nord 2 5G was not in use or charging when it started to overheat.
After the user reported the issue to Twitter, OnePlus contacted them. The user did not give the phone for investigation to the team visiting his premises. He had told Gadgets 360 that he refused to donate the phone unit because he found the team unresponsive and believed it might mitigate the evidence of a phone malfunction.
The user alleged that the explosion took place on September 8. He had claimed that due to the strong heat coming from the phone, he had suffered burns near his stomach.
Last month, a similar issue was reported in Bengaluru where the OnePlus Nord 2 5G allegedly exploded in a woman’s shoulder bag. OnePlus had said the results indicated that the damage to this device was due to an isolated incident involving external factors, and not a manufacturing or product issue.
The OnePlus Nord 2 5G launched in July as a successor to last year’s OnePlus Nord. It included features like triple rear cameras and a 4,500mAh battery. The phone is also powered by a custom-designed MediaTek Dimensity 1200-AI SoC.