Ottawa temporarily bans pistol imports until permanent freeze goes into effect | TUSEN News

0
29

The federal government plans to accelerate a ban on pistol imports into the country without parliament’s approval using a regulatory measure that comes into effect in two weeks, Public Security Minister Marco Mendicino announced Friday. .

The change will last until a permanent freeze in Parliament is passed and takes effect.

The government introduced gun control legislation in May, including a national freeze on the import, purchase, sale and transfer of handguns into Canada.

That bill was not passed before parliament took its summer break and will be discussed again when MPs return to Ottawa in the fall.

See also  Lack of electricity and SBB: trains would soon stand still without electricity

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Melanie Joly said she has the power to ban any import or export license in Canada.

“We came up with the idea of ​​creating this new licensing system in collaboration with Marco,” said Joly. “But in the meantime we will refuse all permits.”

The temporary ban will prevent companies from importing handguns into Canada, with a few exceptions that match those in legislation introduced in May.

See also  Briton drowns in Mallorca hotel pool on holiday before lifeguard could save him

“Since almost all of our pistols are imported, that means we’re introducing our national gun freeze even faster,” Mendicino said. “From that point on, the number of guns in Canada will only decrease.”

Gun imports have risen

Government trade data shows that Canada imported $26.4 million worth of pistols and revolvers between January and June, up 52 percent from the same period last year.

PolySeSouvient, a group representing survivors and families of gun violence victims, praised the government’s approach to freeze imports in a statement released Friday.

See also  EU ends Greek fiscal surveillance, end of debt crisis | TUSEN | 10.08.2022

“This is an important and creative measure that will undoubtedly slow the expansion of the Canadian small arms market until Bill C-21 is passed, hopefully this fall,” said Nathalie Provost, a survivor of the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique shooting in Montreal.

Mendicino and Joly announced the change outside a Catholic elementary school in Etobicoke, a suburb of Toronto, as children kicked footballs in the field behind them.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here