There are a whole range of hair products on the market that promise volume, but one of the best ways to achieve a salon-like finish is with a warm brush.
Usually there are two types of tools: some are designed to blow-dry and style the hair at the same time, while others act as a heated straightener with ceramic bristles to produce tousled waves or straight hairs.
Over the past 18 months, the demand for hot brushes has risen rapidly, thanks in part to TikTok. Both on opposite ends of the price spectrum, tools from Dyson and Revlon gained viral fame in the app as fans shared hair tutorials, showing incredibly satisfying before and after clips. Lockdown also boosted hot brush sales as beauty buffs craved their beloved salon visits.
With such a thriving market, we set out to find the best. We’ve tried oval brushes on wet and damp hair, as well as thinner barrels, some even with retractable bristles.
How we tested
We put the biggest brands in hair care to the test, examining each how easy they were to use, how fast they dried and styled hair, how long those styles lasted and value for money. Our hair tangles quickly, so we also pay attention to the tools that don’t snag or pull on delicate stands.
Before using a hot brush, remember the golden rule of hair care: always use a heat protectant spray to prevent damage and breakage. Ahead are the top hot brushes that made the cut.
The best hot brushes for 2022 are:
- Best Overall – Amika Hair Round Blow Dry Brush: £70, Loveamika.co.uk
- Best to untangle – ReVamp progloss volume and wave ceramic hot brush: £59.99, Boots.com
- Best for adding curls – ghd rise professional hot brush: £169, Lookfantastic.com
- Best Cordless Hot Brush – Babyliss 9003U cordless brush: £120, Johnlewis.com
- Best for straight hair – Remington hydraluxe volumizing hair styler: £37, Argos.co.uk
- Best for thick hair – Hot Tools pro signature one-step blow-dry and volume removable: £69.99, Boots.com
- Best volumizing warm brush – Dyson airwrap styler: £479.99, Dyson.co.uk
- Best on a budget – Revlon one step dryer and volumiser: £47.49, Amazon.co.uk