A general manager working in Victoria’s hotel quarantine system was reportedly removed from his post for violating infection prevention and control procedures after he was taken over in April.
He had to be counseled for initially refusing to undergo a mandatory test and violating infection control after visiting one of the hotels, according to a report by The Australian Wednesday.
The newspaper reports that the director, Matiu Bush, was relieved of his post following the revelations.
COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria told the newspaper she expects “the highest standards from our staff, especially those in leadership.”
Other incidents include contractors and bureaucrats allowed to enter or attempt to enter Melbourne hotel sites without being vaccinated, as required.
While almost all were asked to leave once their vaccination status was known, in some cases it was not verified when they entered.
The incidents allegedly occurred at these hotels: Holiday Inn Airport, Novotel IBIS, InterContinental Melbourne and Four Points Hotel.
The state’s second wave, which last year resulted in more than 18,000 new infections, 800 deaths and a 112-day lockdown, has leaked hotel quarantine.
The program was overhauled after a judicial inquiry.
Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien said the government had not learned from its mistakes.
“Every day we see new evidence that this government still does not have the right to quarantine hotels,” he told reporters in Parliament on Wednesday.
“Now every Victorian is at risk, every Victorian is exposed because this government is just simply incompetent, they can’t do the basics properly.”